Down Payment Assistance
Home Mortgage Loan Special Programs
There are several programs available for homes, that provide funds for down payment and/or closing costs. This assistance comes in the form of grants which do not have to be repaid and/or second liens which must be paid in full when the home is sold or refinanced. The interest rates are fixed for 30 years. These programs have restrictions based on your family income, family size and the County you are purchasing in. Not all of the programs require that you be a first time homebuyer.
FHA Loan — 96.5% LTV
Homebuyer Eligibility Requirements: Borrowers purchasing in Berkeley or Dorchester counties cannot have an ownership interest in a principal residence at the time of loan closing, but may have had ownership interest in a principal residence within the past 3 years.
Borrowers purchasing in Charleston county may not have had ownership interest in the past 3 years. (This can be waived for single parents, veterans or families with a dependent that is permanently 100% disabled/handicapped as determined by SSI)
- Single Family (1 unit)
- Owner-Occupied, Primary Residence
- Stick Built
- Condominium (Must be on the FHA Approved Condominium List)
- PUDs (Must comply with HUD Requirements)
- Off-Frame Modular Housing (Requires SC Housing prior approval)
- Property must be located in South Carolina
- Land Value cannot exceed 30% of the total appraised value of the subject property
MUST KNOW FOR REALTORS
- Minimum 45 Day Contract
- Closing costs are more than normal (Check with your LO for exacts based on offer amounts)
- State Housing sends a safety inspector on forgivable properties
- All utilities must be kept on until closing
- All Documents are wet signatures only —No e-signatures
* Loan programs are subject to credit and property approval. Other guidelines may apply.